Serbian will be fourth seed in New York after Sinner withdrawal and Fils’ Cincinnati victory

Novak Djokovic has received a significant boost in his pursuit of a record 25th Grand Slam title after Arthur Fils defeated Flavio Cobolli in the Cincinnati Open semi-finals, securing the Serbian’s position as the fourth seed at the US Open.

Fils produced a convincing 6-3, 6-4 victory over Cobolli in just 67 minutes on Saturday, ending the Italian’s hopes of moving ahead of Djokovic in the US Open seeding standings.

The result is particularly important for Djokovic, who will now be protected from the tournament’s top three seeds until at least the semi-finals.

Alexander Zverev will enter the US Open as the top seed, followed by Carlos Alcaraz and Felix Auger-Aliassime, while Djokovic will occupy the fourth position.

Cobolli is expected to be seeded fifth, with Alex de Minaur, Daniil Medvedev and Ben Shelton completing the top eight.

A clearer route for Djokovic

Djokovic is currently fifth in the ATP rankings, but the withdrawal of world No. 1 Jannik Sinner from the US Open shifted the seeding picture.

Sinner announced that a right knee injury would prevent him from competing in New York, immediately altering the top of the men's draw.

However, Djokovic still needed Cobolli to fail to advance further in Cincinnati to guarantee the fourth seeding position.

Fils duly provided the result Djokovic needed.

As the fourth seed, Djokovic cannot meet Zverev, Alcaraz or Auger-Aliassime before the semi-finals. Crucially, that also means a potential meeting with defending champion Alcaraz cannot occur before the last four.

For a player seeking to add another major title at the age of 39, the difference could prove substantial.

Djokovic has not won a Grand Slam since the 2023 US Open and has increasingly found Sinner and Alcaraz blocking his path to further success at the biggest tournaments.

Sinner absence removes one major obstacle

Sinner's withdrawal could be particularly significant for Djokovic.

The Italian defeated Djokovic in straight sets in the Wimbledon semi-finals last month and has emerged as one of the Serbian's most difficult opponents in the latter stages of Grand Slam tournaments.

Alcaraz has also inflicted major defeats on Djokovic. The Spaniard beat him in the Australian Open final earlier this season, while Sinner halted his Wimbledon campaign.

With Sinner now absent and Alcaraz positioned in a different section of the seeding structure, Djokovic's potential route to the latter stages of the US Open appears more favourable than it did only days ago.

It does not, however, guarantee an easier tournament.

The US Open draw will not be made until Thursday, meaning Djokovic still does not know which players will occupy his quarter of the draw. The fourth seed remains vulnerable to a potentially difficult quarter-final against one of the players seeded fifth through eighth.

Djokovic facing his own physical challenge

Beyond the draw, Djokovic's biggest concern could ultimately be his own fitness and level of performance.

The Serbian has not played a full schedule during the summer and suffered a surprise defeat to Thiago Agustin Tirante in Cincinnati.

At 39, the physical demands of progressing through seven best-of-five matches represent a different challenge from earlier in his career.

Djokovic has acknowledged that reality himself, particularly when discussing his recent struggles against Sinner and Alcaraz.

“I lost three out of four Slams in semis against these guys, so they're just too good, playing on a really high level,” Djokovic said after his Wimbledon defeat.

“Best-of-five makes it very, very difficult for me to play them, particularly if it's the end stages of the Grand Slam.”

Despite those difficulties, Djokovic has maintained that his belief in another Grand Slam triumph remains intact.

After reaching the Australian Open final earlier this year, he said he still possessed the belief and vision required to win another major, even if he no longer approaches deep runs with the same expectations he had earlier in his career.

New York offers Djokovic a familiar opportunity

The US Open remains one of Djokovic's most successful Grand Slam tournaments.

He has won the title four times and finished runner-up on six other occasions. His most recent major championship also came at Flushing Meadows, when he defeated Daniil Medvedev in straight sets in the 2023 final.

Now, with Sinner absent and Alcaraz kept away until at least the semi-finals by the seeding, Djokovic has been handed a more favourable starting position in his latest attempt to make tennis history.

The draw will ultimately determine how difficult his route becomes, but the Cincinnati result has removed one immediate threat.

For Djokovic, the objective remains unchanged: navigate New York's demanding best-of-five format and find a level capable of carrying him through the world's strongest field.

At 39, another Grand Slam triumph would represent an extraordinary addition to an already historic career. And after Saturday's result in Cincinnati, the road to that elusive 25th major has become, at least on paper, slightly more manageable.