World No. 1’s absence denies fans another Sinner-Alcaraz Grand Slam battle; Draper misses fourth major of 2026.
The US Open has suffered a major blow ahead of its opening, with world number one Jannik Sinner and British star Jack Draper withdrawing from the tournament because of injuries, further disrupting what had been expected to be one of the most compelling men’s draws of the year.
Sinner’s withdrawal is particularly significant. The Italian was due to return to competitive action after winning Wimbledon in July, but a persistent problem with his right knee has prevented him from reaching the fitness level required for another gruelling Grand Slam campaign.
The 25-year-old confirmed his decision on Friday after training in Monte Carlo with his team and medical staff. The announcement came less than 24 hours after his great rival, Carlos Alcaraz, confirmed that he would return to competition in New York following a four-month absence caused by a wrist injury.
“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year,” Sinner said.
Sinner added: “We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue.”
“I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart.”
Sinner has not competed since successfully defending his Wimbledon title, where he defeated Alexander Zverev in the final to claim the fifth Grand Slam singles title of his career. He had also withdrawn from the Canadian Open and Cincinnati Open as he managed the knee problem.
The Italian has enjoyed a remarkable season, compiling a 44-3 record and winning titles at Indian Wells, Miami, Monte Carlo, Madrid, Rome and Wimbledon. His withdrawal nevertheless represents his first Grand Slam absence since he made his major debut at Wimbledon in 2019.
Another chapter in Sinner-Alcaraz rivalry postponed
Sinner’s absence means tennis fans will once again be denied the chance to see the sport’s defining rivalry unfold on the biggest stage.
The Italian and Alcaraz have dominated the Grand Slam landscape in recent seasons, producing a rivalry that has gradually developed into the defining contest of their generation. Their latest major meeting came in last year’s US Open final, when Alcaraz defeated Sinner to claim the title.
The Spaniard had been sidelined since April with a right wrist injury but announced on Thursday that he would defend his US Open crown.
“Estoy de vuelta [I'm back]. Here we go!” Alcaraz said in announcing his return.
Sinner’s withdrawal means the two players will not appear together in the draw at another Grand Slam, extending a frustrating run for fans who have repeatedly been denied the chance to see the sport’s two leading stars compete against each other at full strength.
Earlier this year, their anticipated Australian Open rivalry was also interrupted when Sinner suffered a surprise semi-final defeat by Novak Djokovic.
The pair have met only once in 2026, with Sinner defeating Alcaraz in the Monte Carlo final to reclaim the world number one ranking.
Sinner chooses long-term fitness over New York return
The decision is likely to be viewed as a calculated move by Sinner and his team to avoid turning a manageable knee problem into a more serious, long-term injury.
Sinner had initially appeared to be targeting the US Open as his comeback tournament after missing the Canadian and Cincinnati Masters events. However, his recent training sessions apparently showed that he was not yet ready for the physical demands of a best-of-five-set Grand Slam.
The exact severity of the knee problem has not been publicly disclosed, but Sinner's withdrawal indicates that his recovery has not progressed quickly enough to justify competing in New York.
Rather than risk a setback at one of tennis's biggest tournaments, the Italian is expected to continue rehabilitation and training before targeting a return to the ATP Tour later in the season.
The decision also protects a player whose physical durability has become increasingly important as the demands of the modern tennis calendar continue to grow.
Draper’s injury nightmare continues
Draper’s withdrawal adds another layer of disappointment for British tennis.
The 24-year-old former British number one has endured an injury-plagued season and will now miss all four Grand Slam tournaments in 2026.
The left-arm problem that has repeatedly interrupted his career has severely limited his competitive schedule. Draper had previously been ranked as high as fourth in the world and appeared to be emerging as one of the players capable of challenging the Sinner-Alcaraz dominance.
His rise appeared particularly promising after he won the biggest title of his career at Indian Wells and reached the Madrid Open final.
But injuries have repeatedly halted his momentum.
Draper missed the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon before attempting to return to competition. His comeback has again been interrupted by the troublesome arm problem, with his latest withdrawal ruling him out of the year's final Grand Slam.
The Briton had also endured an earlier recurrence of the injury during the grass-court season. In June, he withdrew from Wimbledon after the problem returned, describing the setback as an extremely painful moment in an already difficult period.
His 2026 campaign has consequently been reduced to only a small number of competitive matches, depriving him of the opportunity to build on the progress he made before his injury problems intensified.
Zverev inherits top-seed position
With Sinner out, Alexander Zverev becomes the top seed at Flushing Meadows, while Alcaraz moves into the position of second seed.
Canada’s Felix Auger-Aliassime is the third seed, with Novak Djokovic, Ben Shelton and other leading contenders also presented with a significantly more open path to the title.
Sinner’s absence could particularly benefit players who have struggled to break through the Italian-Spaniard dominance at the Grand Slam level.
For Alcaraz, the withdrawal removes the player who has been his principal rival in recent seasons. For Zverev and Djokovic, it opens another opportunity to challenge for the title, while American contenders such as Shelton and Taylor Fritz will see an improved chance of ending a long wait for a home-grown men’s singles champion.
A major opportunity for Alcaraz and the chasing pack
The US Open now takes on a markedly different complexion.
Alcaraz will arrive in New York as the defending champion but with the uncertainty that naturally accompanies a player returning from a lengthy injury layoff. His last competitive match came in Barcelona in April, making the tournament his first major test after months away from the tour.
Zverev, meanwhile, inherits the top seeding position and will have another opportunity to capture the Grand Slam title that has eluded him.
Beyond the established contenders, the absence of Sinner creates an opening for players who have repeatedly found themselves blocked by the Italian and Alcaraz at the latter stages of major tournaments.
The US Open singles main draw is scheduled to begin on August 30, with Sinner’s withdrawal ensuring that the tournament will have a new champion or defending champion Alcaraz will have to overcome a field led by Zverev without his biggest rival in the draw.
For Sinner, however, the immediate priority is recovery rather than ranking points or another Grand Slam title.
His decision may disappoint fans who had hoped to see another instalment of the sport's most important rivalry, but it reflects a broader reality of elite tennis: sometimes the most important victory is avoiding the injury that could keep a player away for much longer.
